Many people are not sure how often dogs should go for a walk; even if we could calculate the ideal number of walks or even the amount of time they should take, this would not work the same for all dogs.
This article will talk about why it is necessary to walk a dog and what should be the frequency. We will also give you a series of very useful tips that you can apply during this routine so that you and your dog can enjoy it better. Read on to learn more about how often you should take your dog for a walk.
How many times to take a puppy dog for a walk
When a dog is still a puppy, you should walk him to learn to urinate outside and interact with people and other pets. Once the puppy receives his first vaccinations, he is ready to go out and begin to internalize the walking routine of his adult life. So before adopting a puppy, it is important to make sure you have time to dedicate to him, as well as perseverance to teach him everything he needs to know.
When you teach your puppy to urinate outside, she may still not be able to hold the urine and will at some point do so indoors. Don’t worry, this is normal and takes some getting used to. That is why it is important to estimate the amount of time your puppy can handle before urinating again and to anticipate her physical needs. Based on this, you will also know how many times you need to take it out for a walk.
This calculation will apply to that particular dog, and in any case, as the puppy grows, she will learn to control her needs. Maybe you start with 6-7 trips a day to the outside at first, and as he learns to hold his urine you can reduce the number of times, without it being a problem for him.
How many times to take an adult dog for a walk
Once your dog knows how to relieve himself outside, you will have to ensure his well-being in your daily routine to prevent him from urinating in your house. Remember that you should never punish your dog if he has urinated before coming home.
It is important to understand that not all dogs need the same amount of walks, neither in time nor in intensity; For example, an Afghan Hound does not need the same amount as a Westie, since they do not have the same walking pace and exercise needs. That is why we can safely say that a dog’s daily activity will depend on each particular dog.
In any case, you should know that for any dog to be happy you must walk it between 45 and 90 minutes each day and this should be divided into two, three or four walks, depending on your availability. What’s more, and with your dog in mind, you may want to add some exercise during the walk, such as playing with a ball outside.
How many times to take an elderly dog for a walk
Older dogs have the same need for a walk as any other dog, especially since once they grow up they tend to drink a lot of fluids. We recommend that once your dog is older, do not stop exercising. Although he can no longer take long walks and do a lot of intense exercise, he will feel grateful that he can enjoy more outings with you, even if they are shorter.
When walking an older dog, you will have to be especially careful with heat stroke as well as avoid other pets from playing roughly with it, because it is more sensitive and it is important to take care of it.
Some tips to improve walks with your dog
Going for a walk should be a time that you give exclusively to your dog, dedicated to improving her quality of life, satisfying her needs and having a good time. That is why we want to give you some tips on how to improve the quality of walks, a routine that has a direct impact on the positive attitude of your animal:
- Let your dog be the protagonist, it is his time to shine.
- Let yourself go, your dog will enjoy the walk more if he can decide where to go. Many people have a wrong idea and think that they must manage and control the walk. If you let your dog take control, he will have a more positive attitude.
- Let your dog smell the flowers, people, etc., let him investigate.
- Allow him to interact with other dogs if you see that they both have a positive attitude. Your dog should be the one who decides what to do, don’t force him if he doesn’t want to.
- Find an area where you can let it run freely, in a field for example, for at least 5 or 10 minutes.
- It is not so much the duration of the ride that matters, but the quality of it.
- The longest walk should be in the morning, when there are fewer dogs and everything is quieter.
- If you are in a wooded area, you can practice search games, a technique that consists of spreading the feed on the ground, especially in areas where there are stones and plants around, so that your dog can search and find it. This encourages and encourages your dog to use his nose.
These have been our answers to when and how often you should walk your dog. If you have more ideas for dog walks and fun activities, let us know in the comments section!