When we see that our puppy vomits and does not eat, it is particularly worrying. These can be symptoms of various diseases and health problems that can harm puppies more than adult dogs, precisely because they are not yet fully developed and have fewer defenses. Let’s see the possible reasons that may be causing this situation in your puppy, but first of all, let’s talk about prevention.
Prevention of health problems in puppies
Since puppies have an underdeveloped immune system, it is important that we do everything we can to protect them from health problems. For this reason, once we adopt a puppy in our home, we must follow these guidelines:
- Deworming: for both internal and external parasites. Follow the recommendations of your trusted veterinarian, as there are different parasites that affect animals more depending on where you are in the world. We will need to prevent the puppy from being in contact with other dogs, as asymptomatic cases in adult dogs can be very harmful to puppies.
- Vaccination: always respecting the vaccination schedule set by our veterinarian so that they are effective. Vaccines protect dogs from life-threatening infectious diseases.
- Diet: preferably I think specific for puppies, since it is the one that is going to adapt to their growth needs.
- Safe environment: Puppies are naturally curious, which makes it easier for them to access dangerous substances or objects.
- Weaning: do not interrupt the weaning process or prematurely separate them from their mother. This can have very serious effects on both your physical and mental well-being.
If following these guidelines we see that our puppy vomits and does not eat, we must seek veterinary assistance. Since prompt treatment is especially important for puppies, they will be able to make a diagnosis and begin such treatment as needed.
Reasons why a puppy vomits and does not eat
There are a few reasons why puppies vomit that do not have serious consequences. For example, if they get overexcited or exercise a lot after eating, they may vomit, but will recover soon after.
We must look at the state of vomiting to help the veterinarian make his diagnosis. For this reason, we must be attentive to the following:
- Parasites: we can observe worms in vomit or feces, which generally resemble white spaghetti. They indicate a heavy parasitic infestation. Larvae that look like grains of white rice also suggest parasites.
- Food: The amount of food in the vomit can help indicate the problem.
- Blood:can be fresh, digested (dark brown in color), clots, etc.
- Foreign bodies: pieces or even a whole swallowed object, such as a stone, a toy, or a ball.
In addition to vomiting and anorexia (lack of appetite), we can observe other symptoms in our puppy such as diarrhea, fever, lethargy, apathy, etc. The symptoms will depend on the underlying cause responsible for the symptoms.
Puppy vomiting due to parasites
Anorexia as a symptom can accompany various health problems. When accompanied by vomiting, the problem may be due to intestinal parasites. We need to take the puppy to a vet and not try to deworm it ourselves. The reason for this is that the parasite must be identified after taking a sample and observing it in a laboratory.
Treatment will be specific to the parasite and there are different antiparasitic agents that can be effective. Although infestations rarely cause serious health repercussions in adult dogs, puppies are much more vulnerable, especially if they have to deal with secondary problems. That is why we once again emphasize the importance of deworming, following the guidelines recommended by the veterinarian.
Puppy vomits and stops eating due to infectious disease
Some very serious ailments can cause a puppy to vomit and not eat, especially if it is accompanied by other symptoms such as diarrhea and lethargy. Parvovirus is a common virus among puppies that is life threatening.
There is no cure for parvovirus in dogs (also known as canine distemper), so treatment is supportive and involves managing symptoms. The puppy may need fluid therapy initially to regain strength and counteract dehydration. Antibiotics may be necessary if there is any secondary infection, and the vet may prescribe antiemetics (to stop vomiting), gastric protection medications, vitamin B12, and / or pain relievers.
Gastroenteritis causing vomiting in puppies
Like humans, dogs can also suffer from inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. In these cases we will see that our puppy does not eat and vomits. They may also have diarrhea and even a fever. These processes usually resolve on their own in 24-48 hours, although anti-vomiting or gastric protectors may be prescribed. Only in the most severe cases, when fluid loss is profuse, will it be necessary to administer intravenous, subcutaneous, or oral serum.
The causes of gastrointestinal inflammations can be varied, but it can be due to the ingestion of something toxic. This can be something as mild as spoiled food, but the weaker pup will be more susceptible to its negative effects. Ingestion of hygiene products or other toxic substances can also be the cause. Symptoms can pass on their own, but speaking with a vet is recommended in case the problem is more serious.
Vomiting, diarrhea, and anorexia can also be caused by a food allergy to something in your diet. If the condition lasts for a long time, it can lead to considerable weight loss, which will be an alarm signal for us to go to the vet. They will rule out possible causes to find the diagnosis. The treatment will consist of changing the feed for a specific hypoallergenic one for dogs with allergies. Generally, they are based on a composition without the usual proteins (such as chicken), replaced by salmon or deer, for example.
The puppy vomits due to a foreign body
Finally, puppies are curious animals that are still learning about their environment. This can lead not only to the ingestion of toxic products, but also to foreign objects that can get stuck in your throat or other part of your gastrointestinal tract. Since the object is stuck, the puppy may vomit food after eating as it cannot pass.
It is important that we do not attempt to remove the object ourselves unless it is clearly visible. The reason for this is because we could cause more damage by taking it out than it is causing by staying inside. If the object has sharp edges, we can cut its mucous membranes and the puppy could have internal bleeding. It’s best to take them to a vet, as they can examine them and x-ray them if necessary. In some cases, surgical intervention may be required to safely remove the object.